Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Just a few words!

Last year a friend of mine, Andrea Parks, gave me a  beautiful painting.  This past year  I haven't stop looking at the painting. It absolutely draws you in. 


After many months of being fascinated with this  beautiful style of painting I decided to find out what it was this style of work that was so interesting to me.


What I’ve learned is:  All the years I have been painting I do what is called 'Realism or Linear.'   I want to learn to paint what I feel so the viewer can feel see what I saw.


 I’ve stepped outside of my comfort zone and have started on a new quest.  While researching this Painterly Approach I’ve found that Plein Air painting is a good way to learn. I love Florida and the beauty it holds for the artist to work with.


After painting for so many years in realism the change is difficult, to say the least.  It’s  like trying to write with your left had after writing with your right hand your whole life.


I must learn to to see shapes and shapes, colors and values in a new way.  I want to give the viewer an  experience of  " feeling what I painted."


I realize there is a lot I have to learn. I've never taken any ART 101 classes, no college art and ect. Only possess the natural ability and desire to paint that I've had my whole life.


Why this blog?   I will stumble along the way and may want to give up but I won’t. Doing this blog will keep me focused and working towards the change I want to make. Having your support  and interest as I start on the journey will help keep me on track.


I have a Plein Air easel and  set up all my supplies. They are ready to go when the weather allows  (thank you Ginnie, Bruce and Sam with helping me).   I purchased a year pass to the Florida State Parks. Joined the Hogtown Plein Air painters from Gainesville, Florida ( I'm  not good enough yet to paint with them )  but I joined anyway.


So here I start with my new adventure in art!
I'm excited to learn and discover the artist I feel within.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm excited for you Diana and I definitely look forward to experiencing and feeling your mood through your paintings. I bet it IS harder learning new methods of painting. You've done well with the realism and I look forward to you succeeding on this new painting venture. It's good that you've taken this new method of painting so seriously. Good things will come your way!